Make money by selling your used books on-line at Powell's!

Sell your books to Powell's

Friday, January 28, 2011

SUPER BOWL RECIPE CHALLENGE!

Itttttt’ssssss Suuuuupperrrr Bbbboooowwwllll Ttiiimmmmmee!  In other words, Super Bowl Sunday is coming soon.  I make food like it’s a holiday, not sure about you, but me…..well, any excuse.  I thought maybe this year, if I put this up early enough we could share.  I will post some of the things I am making before I make them and you can put a recipe in the comment section or on the Zombie site on Facebook, whichever you prefer.  Who knows, maybe you will end up making something I am making and I make something that you are making.

Won’t be any pictures this post as I will be referencing recipes with links.  Of course, I will tweak the recipes some when I make them here, but will take pictures then and add to this post.

I am partial to finger foods for this day.  This first one is a favorite of mine and has no links as it is my recipe.  Quick and easy and always a favorite, it’s a really easy way of doing potato skins.

Loaded Home fries

4 Russet potatoes (I cut mine in half lengthwise and then half lengthwise again and again until I have 8 slices from each half.  They will be rather thin, but that way they crisp up well)
6 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
2 cups sharp cheddar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon smoky paprika
2 teaspoon Tapatio (or your favorite hot sauce, if you like it hotter add more, I like mine with a little kick, so I do 3 or 4)
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the cookie sheet)
5 green onions chopped
Sour cream for dipping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  On your largest cookie sheet add olive oil, potatoes (this will probably take two cookie sheets), all the spices and Tapatio and mix with your hands.  Spread out evenly and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, bottom side will bee golden brown.  Take out of the oven and turn potatoes.  Careful, it’s hot.  Place back into the oven and cook checking every 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove and top with cheese and bacon, place back in the oven until cheese is just melted.  Top with green onions and serve right away with sour cream to dip them in.   You can slice a bunch of potatoes the night before and store in a zip lock filled with water, air removed, in the fridge.  When you are ready to make just make sure you strain the potatoes and remove any excess water.  These are great if you make chili too, you can dip them into your chili that has sour cream on top.  Suuuuppper Badddddd, lol.

Now let’s try a new one that is a new one for me too.  I want to try this one.  It was just posted and is a nice twist on regular spinach dip.  I can leave this one in my fondue pot to keep it warm and instead of the chips they suggest, serve it with some marbled rye bread, my families favorite.  I want stuff I can set out and forget.  That way I can play too!

Or, here is the recipe:
The Creamiest-Cheesiest Spinach Artichoke Dip
By Kimberly James
 Ingredients:
1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Tillamook Sour Cream
2 cups Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
Corn chips, for serving

Instructions: 
Squeeze all the water out of the spinach, chop the artichoke hearts, and set aside.
In a big pot over medium heat, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, and cheese. Stir about 3-5 minutes or until everything melts together (don't heat too long or the mayonnaise will separate).  Add the spinach, artichoke hearts, and garlic salt; stir to combine.  Serve immediately in bowls, while still quite hot, with corn chips.

Or, in my case marbled rye and maybe a loaf of my own baked bread.  Thank you Tillamook and Kimberly can’t wait to dive in.  I will change a few things, like adding real garlic and salt to taste, but that’s the nice thing about recipes, you can make them your own.

Okay two down and I want at least four, plus all the normal snackies like veggie tray and chips and dip, what next?  Hmmm.  I was talking food with my friend Rose last night and we were talking Hawaiian food.  Think that is were this will lead me.  Yep, need the shrimp truck shrimp for sure.  When we all went to Hawaii, my children bothered me to figure out how to make the food that they loved there.  The shrimp was one thing they bothered me about, so here is my recipe for it.

Hawaiian Shrimp Truck Shrimp

3 pounds of shrimp peel on (if you can’t handle the peel or the mess, just use raw shrimp), but deveined
6 ears corn (cleaned and cut in half)
1 cube butter
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
2 pinches cayenne
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons salt

Melt butter in a pan.  Add garlic, cayenne, red pepper flakes and paprika.  Take out a pot big enough for corn and shrimp fill with water.  Boil water with 3 teaspoons of salt.   Add the 12 half ears of corn gently boil for 5 minutes, add shrimp and cook until just pink (it will continue to cook for a bit after you take it out of the water), remove with a spider or pour into a strainer.  Place on paper towels to remove the extra moisture.  Get out a nice serving platter and place shrimp and corn on it. Pour butter mixture over the top, sprinkle with a little salt and toss together.  Yummy.   You just peel and eat the shrimp and eat the corn.  Kinda messy so make sure you put out peel bowls and lots of napkins for this one.  Might be nice to cover the table with news papers, sports sections would make a cute table cloth.  Think I will break out the duck tape and sports sections for a cute decorating idea and easy clean up!

Need a main dish or two.  I think I will do chicken.  Don’t want regular buffalo wings….hmm.  Rose and I were talking Huli Huli Chicken too and I said I would post it for her.  I used to make this at least once a month and we have not had it in so long, sounds good!

Huli Huli Chicken

5 pounds chicken of your choice, I am doing thighs
3 cups low sodium soy sauce
½ cup honey
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 Tablespoons corn starch

Cook chicken until just done.  I do mine on the grill, but if you want to cook it in the oven, you can cook it in a baking pan at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  It is done when juices run clear and top is browned and crisp.  While chicken is cooking make the sauce.

In a pan add 2 and ½ cups soy sauce, garlic. ginger, and red pepper flakes.  Add honey and bring to a simmer.  Add the 3 Tablespoons of corn starch to the remaining ½ cup of soy sauce and add to simmering sauce slowly while stirring, I only add half and see how thick it becomes.  If it is still not thick enough add the rest.  It will probably stop simmering so bring it back to a simmer, should thicken to a thin BBQ sauce consistency.  I split my sauce in half.  One half I mop with and the other I use to dip the chicken in. You just mop with this sauce like you would with BBQ sauce.  I probably do 4 coats on each side waiting a few minute between each.  Serve on a nice platter.  You can serve with your favorite cold slaw if you want.  In Hawaii we had it with a sweet and sour vinegar sauce on the cold slaw, no mayo.

I thought I would have a bunch of links and discovered I had the recipes I needed in my head.  My children will be happy that these recipes made it to the blog, this way they will have them in the future.  Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Well, I would love to get some recipes back, so………it’s up to you now.  Oh and if you give out any prizes here is a great little prize for someone at a great price!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear from you!